Find Parts

Search By Item Number Or Keyword
Search Manufacturers By Letter

Still Can't Find It?

If you're unable to locate an item please contact us directly.

Please have the following information ready:

1. Firearm Manufacturer
  2. Firearm Model and Serial Number
  3. Gauge or Caliber of Firearm
  4. Part Description
  5. Any other pertinent information

Then please call our Sales Department toll free at:

866-NUMRICH

(866-686-7424)

Outside U.S.A.

845-679-2417

Office Hours:

Monday through Friday
8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. EST

Forums

Forums Home > Gunsmithing > H&R, HANDI RIFLE PARTS QUEST.
H&R, HANDI RIFLE PARTS QUEST.
Replies for H&R, HANDI RIFLE PARTS QUEST.
JEB
Author Image
Posted: February 10, 2012 3:03 AM

Apparently, I have one of those "Cant get there from here" repair jobs. It is the New England Firearms, (H&R basically), Handi Rifle, in 243 Win. (not mag). I need the ejector, and ejector spring. I called H&R 1871, the new owners, of H&R, and even they dont have the early style ejectors. From what I have learned, H&R changed the ejector system in 2006, to a newer, short stroke style system. I dont think it will fit this older model rifle. This is the model SB2,......SN NP204261. It uses the same style ejector system as the old H&R Partner Shotguns....only this one is a rifle, in 243. Jack First Gunparts, says " good Luck"....he.e... RJ at Numrich says they only have the new style ejectors system. , I have an email into Bobs Gun Parts, no response yet. Surely....someone has these parts for the older, 243, Handi Rifle. Any tips on how and where to look for these parts?....way to complicated to try and duplicate one, on this end. Thanks as always.....Jeb.
Zeke
Author Image
Posted: February 10, 2012 4:31 PM
Jeb, if you can ...give me some dimensional help on both the ectractor/ejector and the spring...buried in this pile of feces around here is a box of H&R parts..but I don't know what i'm looking for...besides that, My personal gun locker has some NEF Handi-Rifles in it..at least one with a comparable casehead size(30-06)....if the parts you need are the same..if nothing else I can make up a couple of tracings with some dimensions so you can hack one out of bar stock. FWIW..I have units in 30-06,.223,44 mag as you can see, there are two rimless chamberings and a rimmed case..the only one that extracts reliably is the .44 Mag(which is scheduled for surgery to .444 Marlin and Scout rifle configuration) When I shoot the 223 and 30-06 I carry a little hook device to reach in under the case groove and pull the case out. I did an upgrade and that included adding a heavier spring to give more UP pressure to the extractor. The problem was that the ext slipped the case rim. Take note that it works in 4 directions...besides in and out..there is an up and down..it is the latter feature that caused my problems...if the edge of the extracor was already gunsmithed..it can be salvaged by TIG...but after you get the shape right,you have to heat treat the thing as it does take a beating. Another option I have been considering is to take rounds like the 243 Win and go to a rimmed case. The parent brass would be the 7x57 MM Mauser RIMMED case..same specs as the rimless case but is rimmed like the 30-30. It is used in Europe in single shot and double rifles..Brass is plentiful and can easily be reformed and trimmed into a .243 Win Rimmed case..a piloted counterbore can be used to re cut rhe barrel face and extractor..also setting headspace...reloading data would be identical to the .243 Win and the convention dies would work...just substitute the shellholder..It means you have to reload...but the gun will function much more reliably...
JEB
Author Image
Posted: February 11, 2012 3:15 AM
Zeke, I will try and take a pic of the ejector I am looking for, and put it on FB, with dimensions included. Hard to believe no one has these older style ejectors, but looks that way. On breeching open, the ejector lip, just slides under the case rim lip, and it stays stuck in the chamber. Easily removed by hand......but is supposed to chunk it out, automatically. Like the Pardner shotguns, etc. They will expel a spent shell, 30 ft. behind you. he..e... oh well...... The upward pressure spring seems proper, and in place, I think someone did a chamber clean job on this older model. with a drill motor and abrasive brush, and cut down the contact lip of the ejector. We shall see.....thanks for the help. Look for me on FB. jeb.
Zeke
Author Image
Posted: February 11, 2012 9:13 AM
Jeb, The extractor/ejector is not the problem. The amount of spring pressure pushing the Ext/ejc upward is the problem. I cured my guns by replacing the speing with a stronger one and making sure the back edge of the extractor(where it grabs the casehead) is not rounded off and that the radius matches the case diameter EXACTLY.. The spring in question is the H&R 048-014 a same diameter and wire size spring that is one coil longer worked for me...and..make sure the sides of the extractor are smooth and the slot it rides in is burr free..In the GPC schematic polish these parts the -6, the -7 and the tunnels and slots they ride in..replace both springs with one a coil longer. Check the tip of the extractor...the portion where it has two thicknesses...make sure the "thin" portion is longe enogh to bottom in the casehead slot, giving full purchase on the case and that the Radius allows the fullest contact with the casehead radius...meanwhile I'll continue the search of my junk boxes to see if I have the parts
Our members have made a total of 238330 posts
We have 468154 registered members
The newest member is Harland983832
FORUM RULES
You are not logged in.
You cannot post replies