Find Parts

Search By Item Number Or Keyword
Search Manufacturers By Letter

Still Can't Find It?

If you're unable to locate an item please contact us directly.

Please have the following information ready:

1. Firearm Manufacturer
  2. Firearm Model and Serial Number
  3. Gauge or Caliber of Firearm
  4. Part Description
  5. Any other pertinent information

Then please call our Sales Department toll free at:

866-NUMRICH

(866-686-7424)

Outside U.S.A.

845-679-2417

Office Hours:

Monday through Friday
8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. EST

Forums

Forums Home > Gunsmithing > JC Higgins Model 31 583.82
JC Higgins Model 31 583.82
Replies for JC Higgins Model 31 583.82
jrg1jr
Author Image
Posted: December 20, 2011 11:39 AM

I replaced the bolt handle on my J.C. Higgins Model 31& reinstalled the bolt assembly. To re-install the trigger guard assembly it says to put the hammer in the cocked position, in order for it to stay in the cocked position I had to lock it back with the sear, but now the gun will not fire. Everything else seems to work fine but the trigger will not re-set. I feel sure that locking it back in the cocked position is the problem but I do not know how to correct it. Any suggestions would be appreciated!

Thanks,

jrg1jr
Zeke
Author Image
Posted: December 21, 2011 10:59 AM
First, Putting the hammer in the cocked position is engaging the sear..that is the way it works...next Who said to do that? factory manual? I have the Gun Digest of Firearms Assembly and Disassembly Part III Rimfire rifles and your riflke is listed under Sears Model 31 with the discriptive paragraph staing it is a High Standard marketed by Sear using the JC Higgins tradename..point is this book doesn't say that. The only special instruction does concern the trigger group but has to do with reassembly of the trigger group itself and not the replacement of it into the stock...however cocked with the safety on is a normal procedure for such an assembly..That said..I would suspect that your problem is with the bolt and its rearward travel..it is this that re cocks the gun after it is fired..if it doesn't travel far enough to the rear..then the math is wrong and the hammer doesn't rotate far enough for the hammer to re-engage the sear. However..there is a set of parts at the rear of the trigger group involving the hammerspring and the hammer spring guide rod..if there is an issue here..improper intstallation of parts or detrius build up..then hammer travell will be affected..BTW did you disassemble the trigger group ior the bolt assy?
Dennis850439
Author Image
Posted: January 18, 2013 9:48 PM
On the right hand side of the trigger group, there is a music-wire spring that must fit in the slot in the linkage arm (straight above the safety).
I have had the trigger group drop out when I removed the cross screw, and impact on a carpeted floor is enough force to pop the spring out of the slot.
You're welcome. 
Our members have made a total of 238359 posts
We have 469031 registered members
The newest member is Andrew984710
FORUM RULES
You are not logged in.
You cannot post replies