Please be aware that due to high order volume our order processing time is approximately 5 business days.

Find Parts

Search By Item Number Or Keyword
Search Manufacturers By Letter

Still Can't Find It?

If you're unable to locate an item please contact us directly.

Please have the following information ready:

1. Firearm Manufacturer
  2. Firearm Model and Serial Number
  3. Gauge or Caliber of Firearm
  4. Part Description
  5. Any other pertinent information

Then please call our Sales Department toll free at:

866-NUMRICH

(866-686-7424)

Outside U.S.A.

845-679-2417

Office Hours:

Monday through Friday
8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. EST

Forums

Forums Home > Gunsmithing > REMINGTON 742 'JAM O MATIC' CURE.
REMINGTON 742 'JAM O MATIC' CURE.
Replies for REMINGTON 742 'JAM O MATIC' CURE.
JEB
Author Image
Posted: November 14, 2010 4:20 AM

I get a lot of these in for repair. And its always the same problem. Cartridges stuck in the chamber. Poor design problems with Remington. Great rifles! but they seem to have this consistent problem. To properly clean the chamber, you pretty much have to remove the barrel, and the general public folks, just are not up to that. I have used this process for a couple years now, and wanted to have all my data in line before I presented it to the forum. Here is what works. Dissassemble rifle, remove barrel. Chuck it up in your padded vise. Use a high speed drill motor, with a cleaning rod, with a brass bristle jag, just smaller than your caliber. Wrap the brass bristles with a 2" X 2" piece of old T shirt cloth, from the chamber end. start with the JB "bore bright" compounds, applied to the cloth. Use the first step cleaning compound, at very high rpm, the then final 'bore bright' compound, with clean cloth to bring it to a mirror finish. Final high speed finish with the rods, and cloths, use "Flitz", high gloss metal finish. Last step is to use Brownells "Action Magic" product. Dip a patch in the Part A solution, apply by hand, and let cure for a day or so. Then apply the part B, (moly sulfide) on to a high speed cotton patch, insert in barrle, and buff it. The rifles I have done with this process have gone several seasons, with no glitches. When it comes to cleaning time, just pull a Hoppes, Boresnake thourgh it. Just thought I would pass that along, as a freebee; from the school of hard knocks! heee..e....
JEB: most of the 742's i get in have chambers so pitted that they cannot be polished out. by the time the customer bring the gun inwith torn extracto cases it is too late! your method is thorough, however and will save barrels that are not too pitted. i know someone who used a case fired in the same gun and put fine valve grindingcompound on it and spun the case in the chamber with an extension mandrel, it seemed to wrok.
JEB
Author Image
Posted: November 16, 2010 3:16 AM
Copy that Mel. Yep....most of the 742's, I get in have just been neglected, from season to season. Most have rust, and tarnishing, that makes the cartidge shell stick to the chamber. I have not had any that have been pitted as bad as what you describe. Not sure how I would deal with one of those, if it came into the shop. Short of a barrel replacement...he.e..e.e. Problem with the 742's is to do a proper cleaning job, you have to remove the barrel, and brush out, and polish the chamber when they get to hanging up, (jamming). Most folks are not interested in getting that far into one. After I do my little proprietary process, I always recommend they invest in a Hoppes, Bore Snake, caliber specific, and follow mfg. directions. One extra tip I tell them, is after a few pull throughs with the bore snake, dip the last inch or so of the snake in Kroil, and let it soak in, then do a few pull throughs. It will leave a film of protective oil preservative in the chamber bore, and be ready for next season. There is a ba-jillion 742's out there, and your gonna run up on this problem sooner or later in you shop. This is what works for me. Have had not complaints as of yet! he.e..e.e.e..talk soon. Jeb.
tigertrout
Author Image
obviously, I'm in the presence of greatness.........let me take advantage of the knowledge dished out for free.
just kidding fellas. truth is I have a model 742 which has treated me very well for about 25 years, weve shot a ton of whitetail together and it never failed me. Just keep her clean and fire away. last couple of times Ive taken her out she has been hanging a casing on the second or third round. not sure what to do. she has spent the last season on the rack due to lack of confidence. any help would be appreciated.

thanks Sean
JEB
Author Image
Posted: December 21, 2010 1:31 AM
Well, if you are confident in removing the barrel, and following my steps I posted on the start of this topic, I would suggest that. I'll just about guarantee you thats the problem. If not...I would suggest a Hoppes, "Bore Snake", in your caliber. Cock the action, and let the magazine keep it open, and pull that Bore Snake from the chamber end, about a dozen times. On the last pull, dip the large end of the Bore Snake, in a good gun oil, (Rem Oil), etc. That should solve your problem, if it has served you this long, so well. If not.....a barrel removal is in order.....which aint that big a deal, just a thumbuster in getting back together. Hope that helps.
Tiger: get a chamber brush in the appropriate caliber and use a flexible (nylon) rod to scrub the chamber out or get the accessory brush made by remngton for the 742 or 750. it could be too that after so many years without being serviced that the gun is pretty much very dirty and should be totally take apart and cleaned. good luck with it!
Our members have made a total of 240225 posts
We have 526043 registered members
The newest member is Leonard 1041758
FORUM RULES
You are not logged in.
You cannot post replies