Find Parts

Search By Item Number Or Keyword
Search Manufacturers By Letter

Still Can't Find It?

If you're unable to locate an item please contact us directly.

Please have the following information ready:

1. Firearm Manufacturer
  2. Firearm Model and Serial Number
  3. Gauge or Caliber of Firearm
  4. Part Description
  5. Any other pertinent information

Then please call our Sales Department toll free at:

866-NUMRICH

(866-686-7424)

Outside U.S.A.

845-679-2417

Office Hours:

Monday through Friday
8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. EST

Forums

• << previous
  • next >>
Forums Home > Gunsmithing > tight Swede barrel
tight Swede barrel
Replies for tight Swede barrel
Twinkle toes
Author Image
Posted: January 26, 2013 3:19 PM

Trying to remove the barrel from my '96 Swede. I do have the appropriate tools, but, I can tighten my barrel vise as tight as I can, but when I get to really bearing down on the action wrench, the barrel will slip in the blocks. What do I have to do Zeke?

Twink
Zeke
Author Image
Posted: January 26, 2013 6:14 PM
Well, one of the tricks is to use rosin on the barrel...But one thing I have used..if your saving the barrel is to first degrease the reciever and barrel junction..Then using a Black and Decker heat gun and beeswax  try this  clamp the barrel in yur bench vise..insulated from the steel of the vise...the reciever is up...here's what your trying to do..Your going to heat the barrel-reciever area and, from the inside of the reciever..your melting the wax..in small amounts..you want the melted wax to migrate thru the reciever threads and lubricate the barrel threads...... I have a couple of NEW Swede recievers...one i fitted with a 257 Robrts tube and the other with a new  6.5x55 Swede barrel. Forum contact/Buddy Doug Fincher hasa  a few barndy new military tubes...in the white..that have vever been on a gun..If you  want that type of barrel and cheap I might add contact Doug. He is a professional photograper in  (701 Hospital Sat)San Augustine Texas 75972  His photo operation has a webpage so you can google that..He has built several rifles on these actions and can also advised on barrel removal and installation..Other tricks I have tried . One is to stick the recievr and barrel in the freezer for a day or two, then bring it out and heat the joint as in the wax process...the shock often cracks the seal..or..make a set of hardwood barrel blocks and use brownells steel-bed to form a perfect match...once it cures....clamp the set to the barrel with some crazy glue..let it set before you unscrew the tube...
Twinkle toes
Author Image
Posted: January 26, 2013 10:28 PM
Thank ya kindly Zeke. Haveing over 50 lbs of bees wax layin' around, I will start with the Bees wax trick--and I will use rosin!

Since I've reached the age were trappin' and prospectin' hurt my ol' bones to durn much, My guns are my only outlet to keep my mind and hands busy!

Twink
Zeke
Author Image
Posted: January 27, 2013 4:24 PM
Twink...there are countless ribald comments that could be made about the caption..That said..people   use your imgainations....
Twinkle toes
Author Image
Posted: January 28, 2013 12:31 AM
Indeed, one might think that I was trollin' for a date!! However, at my age, I'm just as happy at my gun bench.  It's a heck of a note, when ya get to a point were, when ya see a beautiful lady, ya invision a big box of old, rusty gun parts!

Twink
Zeke
Author Image
Posted: January 29, 2013 6:24 PM
TaKTake a look beside you Twink...I suffer the same thoughts...
  • << previous
  • next >>
Our members have made a total of 239559 posts
We have 503061 registered members
The newest member is David1018766
FORUM RULES
You are not logged in.
You cannot post replies