Find Parts

Search By Item Number Or Keyword
Search Manufacturers By Letter

Still Can't Find It?

If you're unable to locate an item please contact us directly.

Please have the following information ready:

1. Firearm Manufacturer
  2. Firearm Model and Serial Number
  3. Gauge or Caliber of Firearm
  4. Part Description
  5. Any other pertinent information

Then please call our Sales Department toll free at:

866-NUMRICH

(866-686-7424)

Outside U.S.A.

845-679-2417

Office Hours:

Monday through Friday
8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. EST

Forums

• << previous
  • next >>
Forums Home > Hand Guns > Hand Guns > Anyone ever heard of a Howard Arms Co. Chicago (I J?) Secret
Anyone ever heard of a Howard Arms Co. Chicago (I J?) Secret
Replies for Anyone ever heard of a Howard Arms Co. Chicago (I J?) Secret
Numrich Archiver
Author Image

Numrich Archiver
Author Image
The only reference that I have is to: Howard Arms Company: A Tradename used by the H.& D. Folsom Arms Company on "SHOTGUNS" they distributed. The name "Secret Service Special" was used bt the Rhode-Spencer Company of Chicagp, Ill. on pocket revolvers. IJ used the name Secret service Special on .32 cal. revolvers sold By "Biffer" of Chicago. Meridan Used the same name on .38 cals. also sold by Biffer of Chicago. Whitney Arms Company(yes, Eli) had an operating partner, aka Whitney-"Howard" that produced some revolvers, but they would have pre-dated the .38 S&W cartridge. Chances are that the revolver was produced for sale by one of the major retailers, like Sears, Mont. Wards.,etc. You can run your data by www.bluebookinc.com or wait for Forum member Bill Goforth to come on. Bill is the resident expert on these pocket type revolvers.
Numrich Archiver
Author Image
Thanks for the info. I bought the gun on the auction, It has a three hump front sight (large hump in center) that I read was a Meriden Arms Co. When I get the serial number I'll post for more information. Thanks again.
Numrich Archiver
Author Image
Thanks for the info. I guess comming from Sears the "Secert Service" was just a sales gimick. If I decide to reload for it do you have any info for loads from that time period? The finish is nichol and about 80%, does having it refinished + or - from it value?

Numrich Archiver
Author Image
That would be a Blackpowder load with a lead bullet and even then the soft iron of the Meridan could be subject to expansion....if it hasn't already stretched!
Numrich Archiver
Author Image
ed,
you are correct in the the front sight indicates manufacture by meriden. the name 'secret service special' was owned and used by 'the fred biffar co.' both fred biffar and meriden were tied very closely with Sears, Roebuck & co.

serial numbers are of no use in these handguns as there are no known records. the revolvers with the 'secret service special' markings date to as early as 1908 and as late as 1922. the main thing to remember about the handguns manufactured by meriden is they used mallable iron in their construction. i personally would not consider any of them safe with modern ammo.
bill
  • << previous
  • next >>
Our members have made a total of 239284 posts
We have 495648 registered members
The newest member is raul1011346
FORUM RULES
You are not logged in.
You cannot post replies