Find Parts

Search By Item Number Or Keyword
Search Manufacturers By Letter

Still Can't Find It?

If you're unable to locate an item please contact us directly.

Please have the following information ready:

1. Firearm Manufacturer
  2. Firearm Model and Serial Number
  3. Gauge or Caliber of Firearm
  4. Part Description
  5. Any other pertinent information

Then please call our Sales Department toll free at:

866-NUMRICH

(866-686-7424)

Outside U.S.A.

845-679-2417

Office Hours:

Monday through Friday
8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. EST

Forums

Forums Home > Hand Guns > Hand Guns > I just aquired a forehand arms double action revolver, it has a
I just aquired a forehand arms double action revolver, it has a
Replies for I just aquired a forehand arms double action revolver, it has a
Numrich Archiver
Author Image

Numrich Archiver
Author Image
thanks guys for all the info...the gun is in very good condition for it's age...lock up is tight as you would expect one of these guns to be. one more question...using the correct 32 s&w ctg. would it be safe to use pyrodex p as a black powder substitute for loading ammo?
Numrich Archiver
Author Image
zeke,
thanks for the information my 3rd edition of cartridges of the world is somewhat out of date. even though i don't reloade any more is guess a need a new edition.
bill
Numrich Archiver
Author Image

You should probably approach Hodgdon, which makes Pyrodex, with that issue. The farther you get from the original black powder (BP) loads for which the old revolver was manufactured, the farther you go into "uncharted territory" regarding safe internal ballistics for shooting these old revolvers. (I've got a bunch of them, and determining safe smokeless powder loads duplicating BP ballistics is always a conundrum.)

If Hodgdon says it's O.K. and they have published Pyrodex loads for your revolver's cartridge (on their website --- check for this first, or in a manual --- you will have to buy this), then you've got it. If they don't list loads on their website that you need, or you don't want to spend the money on their manual, ask for specific load data when you inquire about the usability of Pyrodex for your item. I'm not into Pyrodex, but I BELIEVE that the standard procedure is, USING THE CORRECT GRANULATION, you use an equal volume of Pyrodex for the same volume of BP. This assumes, of course, that as a reloader you have a powder scale and can weigh out the BP loads of the original ammo and can convert The volumes of those loads to Pyrodex loads.

Numrich Archiver
Author Image
it is marked forehand arms co. worchester mass. double action. nickel finish with a 6 shot cyl. and plastic grips marked F&W 2 1/2" octagon barrel....i've decided i would only shoot black powder loads in it but cant figure out if it takes the s&w long or short ctg. thanks for the reply
Numrich Archiver
Author Image
Is it a solid frame, is a centerfire or a rimfire? I can add this..in a copy of the advertisment for the F&W Rev it clearly states that a certain DA Forehand and Wadsworth is chambered for: .32 Short RF..32 Long Rimfire and is equipped with rubber stock,nickle plated..6-shot and that the only CF is in .38 caliber. Further on in Vorisek book it sez... The American Bulldog was made in .32 and .38 rimfire and .38 S&W Centerfire while the British Bullgog was offered in .32,.38 and .41 Rimfire .32 and .38 S&W centerfire and .44 Webley centerfire..FWIW..dimensionally, the .32 S&W Short and the Long are exact in every dimension except in case length and OAL of a loaded cartridge and neither should fit the chamber any better than the other except the Long may have to be forced into the chamber...that said..a chamber will have a "throat" that is of a different dimesnsion than the case..it accepts and aligns the smaller diameter of the bullet..if you make a chamber casting using a product called "Cerro-Safe"(www.brownells.com has it and the directions for its use) you can get an exact shape of the chamber and match that to the case..if it is chambered for the short only(some guns will handle both..my modern S&W Model 17 shoots shorts,longs and the H&R Magnum round interchangibly) That said the only reference I see in Vorisek's book on .32 centerfire is for the .32 S&W short. The book also has a list of serial numbers that will assist in making an ID of the Model...American Bulldog...Model 1896 or British Bulldog plus numerous pages of other info....
Our members have made a total of 239036 posts
We have 489122 registered members
The newest member is Joseph1004815
FORUM RULES
You are not logged in.
You cannot post replies