Find Parts

Search By Item Number Or Keyword
Search Manufacturers By Letter

Still Can't Find It?

If you're unable to locate an item please contact us directly.

Please have the following information ready:

1. Firearm Manufacturer
  2. Firearm Model and Serial Number
  3. Gauge or Caliber of Firearm
  4. Part Description
  5. Any other pertinent information

Then please call our Sales Department toll free at:

866-NUMRICH

(866-686-7424)

Outside U.S.A.

845-679-2417

Office Hours:

Monday through Friday
8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. EST

Forums

Forums Home > Hand Guns > Hand Guns > J.P. Sauer and Sohn, western six shooter 22 caliber parts
J.P. Sauer and Sohn, western six shooter 22 caliber parts
Replies for J.P. Sauer and Sohn, western six shooter 22 caliber parts
flipper
Author Image
Posted: August 5, 2010 2:53 PM

I have a revolver marked: "J.P. Sauer and Sohn, western six shooter 22 caliber manufactured for Hawes..." on the gun barrell.

It appears to come with a 22 magnum cylinder as a 22 magnum shell inserts cleanly into the chamber, whereas a 22 LF shell seems to be a sloppy fit. However, I cannot find a marking anywhere on the cylinder that states that it requires 22 magnum (or regular 22 shells). The barrel states "22 caliber" but maybe the barrel is OK for magnum as well?? Not sure how Sauer marked their barrells or cylinders if any? The revolver is missing the complete ejector assembly for some unknown reason. I think I would like to re-install a new ejector and maybe some other parts but I am not sure what to order or even what shells I can use with this gun. Questions are as follows:

1) How can you tell me if this revolver is the 22 LR or 22 magnum version?
2) I notice you list caliber/shell specific 22LR and 22 magnum barrells and cylinders in your parts, can somethings be interchanged (e.g. barrell)?
3) The ejector was removed for some reason? Could it be that magnum version does not work well with the "22" ejector?
4) I think minimum required parts are: 79360, 79380, 78860 and 79950. Not sure if gun also needs Ejector Tube Screw Insert? What is that?
George M
Author Image
Posted: August 6, 2010 6:16 PM
I'll answer some of your questions,

1) I belive it is both, with the 22M cylinder installed it shoots .22M Ammo, with the 22LR cylinder installes it shoots 22LR. All of these "convertable" revolvers that I have seen used the same barrel even though there is a slight difference in the bullet diameter of the 2 cartridges. As I recall, it is "barreled" for the 22LR ammo and the accuracy of the 22Mag suffers. It appears that you have the 22M cylinder.
2) I am not sure here, see answer 1).
3) No, it's just missing in your pistol.
4) Not my expertise.

George M.

The American Revolution would never have happened with gun control.
Alan in Nevada1
Author Image

1) Agree. (Except the Magnum bullet is larger in diameter than the Long Rifle bullet and the barrel is bored for the tough, jacketed Magnum bullet; the soft lead LR bullet upsets or "slugs up" to the larger bore pretty well. But accuracy for the LR is compromised a bit.)
2) As to the differently-listed barrels, I doubt if they are any different. The two different listings are probably a stocking procedure to ensure that when the customer says the revolver is in .22 LR or .22 Mag (either is correct for these) and the clerical person filling the order isn't knowledgeable about the intricacies of the issue, the customer's order gets filled O.K. Of course, the cylinders are chambered differently for the two cartridges.
3) Agree.
4) Not my expertise either. You need to contact this forum's host (you are on a public discussion forum, not Numrich/Gun Parts Corp.'s business page) via http://www.gunpartscorp.com/ContactUs.aspx

daniel
Author Image
Posted: August 9, 2010 7:06 AM
I have a Hawes Firearms Co. Los Angels, California Germany #73xxx all of this info on left side of barrel
On right side of barrel is Weatern Sixshooter .22 caliber magum
This pistol came with a six shot .22 caliber cylinder no markings on cylinder; the .22magum caliber cylinder is marked with a 'M' on the breech face.
The .22 cailber camber measures .0224"; the .22magum caliber chamber measures .0236".
The pistol a more accurate shooting the .22magum because the barrel is a .22magum than shooting the .22 caliber.
Daniel
Zeke
Author Image
Posted: August 9, 2010 9:46 AM
The copies of the Colt SAA revolver as marketed by Hawes is a COPY...These are not clones of the Colt SAA. You can get takedown and repair instructions from the publications of Dave Chicoine(www.oldwestgunsmith.com) Titles are Gunsmithing Guns of the Old West and Antique Firearms Assembly/Disassembly and parts from www.vtigunparts.com >>>>>>>>>AND<<<<<<<<< FWIW I haven't examined your complaint in detail...BUT...this style of revolver does NOT use a conventional style ejector...under thee right side of the barrel at approx the 4-5 O'clock position is the ejector assembly..there is the Ejector Rod tube and mounting screw...the Ejector rod and Ejector spring Ejection is done by clock timing the cylinder to the loading gate..which is opened and each indivdual case...fired or unfired is pushed out to the rear......Many of the Hawes/JP Sauer SAA revolvers are desirable and usable by Cowboy Action Shooters and a pretty good aftermarket of upgrade parts is out there...You might want to consult the Tech Staff at www.brownells.com or..at least order their special catalog for these parts
daniel
Author Image
Posted: August 10, 2010 1:37 AM
There is one thing I though of; the cylinders are the same size in over-all dimension. The caliber is determined by the holes bored in the cylinder and the inserts installed for the caliber. If you look at the breech face, you will see this on this model of Hawes pistol. The ejector works with either caliber.
Daniel
Our members have made a total of 239276 posts
We have 495324 registered members
The newest member is Megan1011022
FORUM RULES
You are not logged in.
You cannot post replies