Find Parts

Search By Item Number Or Keyword
Search Manufacturers By Letter

Still Can't Find It?

If you're unable to locate an item please contact us directly.

Please have the following information ready:

1. Firearm Manufacturer
  2. Firearm Model and Serial Number
  3. Gauge or Caliber of Firearm
  4. Part Description
  5. Any other pertinent information

Then please call our Sales Department toll free at:

866-NUMRICH

(866-686-7424)

Outside U.S.A.

845-679-2417

Office Hours:

Monday through Friday
8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. EST

Forums

Forums Home > Rifles > M1 Carbine Barrel Band w/ Bayonet Lug
M1 Carbine Barrel Band w/ Bayonet Lug
Replies for M1 Carbine Barrel Band w/ Bayonet Lug
oly
Author Image
Posted: January 3, 2012 7:02 PM

I want to add a Barrel Band w/ Bayonet Lug to my Universal, but why are there so many listed? I understand the Parker vs. Blued, but why so many?
Zeke
Author Image
Posted: January 4, 2012 9:32 AM
A quick scan of the parts list seems to indicate that there are different styles, finishes, manufacturers and materials. The Standard catalog of Firearms shows the carbine in a dozen variations..from a GI copy to gold plated jazzed up versions plus short paratrooper styles with at least 3 different chamberings(.30 carbine....256 Win and 22 LR) where there is variety..there are parts that differ.....
Clermont
Author Image
Three types of original military barrel bands for the M1 carbine were produced and all were parkerized. The first two types, found on early M1 carbines, did not have the bayonet lug as the M4 bayonet for the M1 carbine hadn't yet been designed. The barrel band with the bayonet lug was put into production in late 1944 and retrofitted to earlier M1 carbines during rebuild or overhaul. Aside from prime or sub contractor markings, there is only one type of M1 carbine barrel band with the bayonet lug.
oly
Author Image
Posted: January 5, 2012 10:57 AM
Thanks guys.
I guess I pick the caliber and finish and it should fit. Thanks again for the quick reply.
Zeke
Author Image
Posted: January 5, 2012 5:40 PM
Oly, Remember that the Universal Carbine is a look alike of the GI M1 Carbine and not a clone. Only some parts of the US M1 G1 .30 Cal will fit your Universal. The host of this forum(Gun Parts Corp) list those in their hard copy paper catalog...and..The Universal has several manufacturers...it started out as an independant manufacturer but went belly up and then the product bounced around for a while, ending up as a product of Iver Johnson. IJ made the CF vrsions(.30 US...5.7mm Spitfire and 9mm Para) in 1985-86 and the RF .22 LR and .22 Mag in 1985-86 and again in 1987. each manufacturer has likely used methods of manufacture that they thought were the most profitable...meaning..in the normal course of production some parts were likely "cheaped down" and others, while they appear the same, may not fit The CNC process of manufacture was not yet in full use and many parts, like those that were stamped out and formed on steel rule dies did get looser with the number pushed thru the tooling as it wore or cutters dulled.....meaning even though it does not ssay fitting is required...don't be surprized or upset if you have "gunsmith" even the simplest part...and other than wood..no new parts are being mass produced and if you plan on a long shooting life for your Universal think spare parts even buying a parts gun or two...
Our members have made a total of 239994 posts
We have 516836 registered members
The newest member is Spencer1032547
FORUM RULES
You are not logged in.
You cannot post replies