Find Parts

Search By Item Number Or Keyword
Search Manufacturers By Letter

Still Can't Find It?

If you're unable to locate an item please contact us directly.

Please have the following information ready:

1. Firearm Manufacturer
  2. Firearm Model and Serial Number
  3. Gauge or Caliber of Firearm
  4. Part Description
  5. Any other pertinent information

Then please call our Sales Department toll free at:

866-NUMRICH

(866-686-7424)

Outside U.S.A.

845-679-2417

Office Hours:

Monday through Friday
8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. EST

Forums

Forums Home > Shotguns > American Eagle Model 60
American Eagle Model 60
Replies for American Eagle Model 60
andrew2003
Author Image

I picked up an American Eagle model 60 from my dad. Would like to know something about it.
Zeke
Author Image
Posted: March 30, 2012 10:57 AM
The American Eagle Model 60 is a gun made by the defunct Noble Arms Company of haydenville Massachusetts. They did buisness from 1946 to 1971 and their forte was plain,utility grade firearms at entry level costs They made .22 caliber rifles and shotguns in several gauges. The shotgun line includes slide action,autoloader and SxS doubles. In todays market...none of the slide actions or autoloaders in Excellent condition are valued at under $200. The Model 60 is discribed as: A hammerless slide action shotgun in 12 or 16 ga. with a tubuklar magazine and fitted with a 28" barrel with adjustable choke device. Stocks are of plain hardwood with a pistol grip style buttstock and a grooved slide handle. Values as per The Standard Catalog of Firearms: EXC=$175 Very Good=$150...Good=$125.....Fair = $100 and Poor=$75...The same design was also marketed in the smaller gauges with a different model designation. I do not have any info on the tradename of "American Eagle" except that it was once used by Hopkins and Allen on inexpensive handguns. However...it may be a hardware gun designation.... a retiler could go to a company like Noble and have firearms made with their name or tradename on them. This is a common practice. Stores like Sears,Western Auto,Montgomery Wards and dozens of others did this for many years. Usually the hardware gun was cheaped down..cosmetically.... to allow sales at a lower price and this decreases the used gun value. When Noble went out of buisness, the host of these forums,Numrich Arms/Gun Parts Corp acquired much of the parts, etc of this corporation. Their paper catalog shows several pages of parts listed under NOBLE...Models 60,60AF,160& 65 ......also.... Models 60A,60B,60G,66,66CLP,66RCLP,66RLP,66XL.67,166,166L,XNH-55,XNH-65G,XNH-560,XNH-560-8A & XNH-565....the additional model numbers are of importance to you because there are no new parts being made(maybe aftermarket wood) and what our host has is in limited supply and when they are gone...that's it! If you find yourself searching for a part, it may have to come from a parted out gun and one of these other models may serve. Our host,in their paper catalog, has all these models grouped under th same parts list in such a manner as you can determine which part will work in which models. If you plan on keeping this gun in service..sooner, rather than later it will need parts. Isuggest that you make a notation of what serves your gun for future reference.....hope this helps....
andrew2003
Author Image
It helped quite a bit. The funny thing about this shotgun is there is no visible seral # and it has an 18 1/2 inch barrel. Other than that the gun shots great. Dad was using it for home protecton, and so will I. It patterns really tight at 20 yards with 00 buckshot. So this willl be a bear gun.
Zeke
Author Image
Posted: March 30, 2012 6:24 PM
FWIW...Serial numbers were not a matter of law until the Gun Control Act of 1968 was enacted. It was omitted more often on entry level inexpensive guns...stamping consecutive recorded numbers and maintaining records of them was expensive. Before the law there was no reason to do it...and...truthfully there still isn't a reason...tracing anything by a series of stamped digits is a mind set caused by TV dramas..IMHO,Of Course....and...The information I have on the Noble states that all were made with an adjustable choke device atached to the end of the barrel. These were silver soldered in place and difficult to remove...and they often became damaged. They basically work this way they are two part..the soldered part is hardened steel and the end of it...for about 3" is slit in 4 places. The outside of these fingers are heavier on the outside tip...the outer sleeve is like a funnel and as it is screwed down the fingers are pressed closer together to form a choke..a constriction which controls the pattern of the pellets when fired. Some hunters, either on purpose or by accident cause the choke device to be removed(the internal fingers do break and the choke device become in operative and dangerous) so the barrel is cut and recrowned. This results in a open bore, one that is often favored by Grouse,partridge and Rabbit hunters...it would be my guess that your gun was altered...The Illustrated parts breakdown in our host's catalog shows the Noble model 60 with a barrel that is permenently screwed into the frame...not a quick change style...meaning...that replacing the barrel is now a major gunsmithing operation..IF...a suitible barrel could be found...and..The catalog shos that two barrels were made..one with the choke device and one without it...neither is listed as available..but that i8nfo would suggest that the gun was marketed with an internal fixed choke..the easy way to tell is to check the constriction of the barrel you have...there are specific dimensions for a cylinder bore down to full choke..you can measure it with a vernier caliper and determine the choke...the other method would be that the chambering ..gauge and shell length are stamped on the barrel and if there is also a choke designation, then it never had an adjustable choke on it.........In any e3vent, i would advise against firing anything but lead shot thru it...the adjustable type choke device will fail with anything other than lead.and a barrel with a bored internal choke may expand when steel is fired and in some cases older fixed choke guns have split with the use of non-toxic shot. If there is no stamping...give me the gauge and I'll give you the nominal constrictions for each choke constriction. it is also possible to have the barrel fitted with an aftermarket internal choke tube set-up...the 18.5" bbl suggest it wa set up as a slug or riot gun...some slug guns are equipped with iron sights.......
andrew2003
Author Image
We ran a choke indicator through the muzzle and its in between cylinder and improved cylinder. I live in alaska so the only thing the gun is going to be used for is bear protection around the house. Has a nice tight group with 00 buck out to 30 yrds. A shotgun should be used for buying time get a rifle anyway. I was thinking of putting a reflex sight on it similar to an acog. Used them in the service.
Zeke
Author Image
Posted: March 31, 2012 10:20 AM
I don't know waht the laws in Alaska say about lazer sights...but one that projects a dot onto the target and shows where the shot charge will impact that target would be my choice. I prefer this type of sight on any defensive firearm simply because....once zero'd...they allow an accurate defensive shot to be fired from just about any position you may find yourself in without having to align the gun and sight with your eye or shoot from the shoulder...it also allows for the less skilled shooter to deal with an emergency situation..and a word about the laws about hunting with such a sight...if your not taking this gun afield on a hunt..it is being used to defend home and family and friends in an accidental defensive encounter..Frankly, I would rather deal with the courts on such a matter than deal with something that views us a lunch..in a nutshell...cops having little saying about firearms....it is better to be judged by 12(a jury) than carried by 6(pallbearers) IMHO...what you use in a defensive situation is governed by your skills and and the jeopardy you feel your in...an NO, I am not advocating the breaking of laws..I am advocating with defending one and their family by the best means possible in the situation you find yourself in..Truthfully, there are no rules in defending a human life..those rules are for the after thinkers.......and given a choice..I'll deal with them rather than the bear! That said..I hope this is not your only form of protection for these situations..once this gun breaks down(and it will...it is old) finding a part will not be easy...If a multi shot shotgun is what you want...try a Mossberg Model 500..there are millions of them in the system and they are inexpensive but reliable...my next choice would be a Remington Model 870 for the same reasons but more $$$$$ .....but if it was strictly for bear defense..then a SxS double barrel in what is called a "Stagecoach" gun configuration in 10 gauge or in 12 ga chambered for the 3.5" shells..The SxS is easy to shoot..easy to reload and quick and the same type of lazer projection sight can be installed..but remember on any red dot sight..they run on batteries and the battery life is limited..so you will not only need a supply of ammo,you will need a supply of batteries...which are changed on a time basis not a use basis..onn a life and death use gun...Monthly would be my choice..........
Our members have made a total of 238961 posts
We have 486930 registered members
The newest member is jarrod1002622
FORUM RULES
You are not logged in.
You cannot post replies