Please be aware that due to high order volume our order processing time is approximately 5 business days.

Find Parts

Search By Item Number Or Keyword
Search Manufacturers By Letter

Still Can't Find It?

If you're unable to locate an item please contact us directly.

Please have the following information ready:

1. Firearm Manufacturer
  2. Firearm Model and Serial Number
  3. Gauge or Caliber of Firearm
  4. Part Description
  5. Any other pertinent information

Then please call our Sales Department toll free at:

866-NUMRICH

(866-686-7424)

Outside U.S.A.

845-679-2417

Office Hours:

Monday through Friday
8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. EST

Forums

Forums Home > Shotguns > Gunsmithing on Stevens 18D Bolt Head
Gunsmithing on Stevens 18D Bolt Head
Replies for Gunsmithing on Stevens 18D Bolt Head
Lou648015
Author Image
Posted: March 24, 2013 3:07 PM

I need to remove the firing pin, indicator pin and spring from a Stevens 18D bolt head, but cannot figure out how to remove the cocking piece from the bushing.  I've tried twisting, turning, pulling, heating, etc, but all to no avail.  I think the firing pin must run through a cutout in the cocking piece, so is there a hidden keepr that isn't showing itself?  What's the secret?  Any help will be much appreciated.

...Fire Mountain Weapons; Sales and Gunsmithing
Zeke
Author Image
Posted: March 25, 2013 10:10 AM
I believe there is a cross pin that retains the cocking piece to the bushing..The schematic shows it as a -6 but I think it is mislabeled  It is ID'd as the cocking piece. It is the indicator rod that is threaded into the bolt cap..Take note that the rear end of the bolt head(frt bolt body) has a groove in the tip of the minor diameter...On some versions of this model..they used an E-Ring to join the parts and on others a cross pin This model has common parentaqge with the 58 and the letter designations indicate major design changes   most in the bolt design..Check the schematics of the all the version of the 18,model 51...model 58 in the Savage....Stevens and Springfield versions of the bolt action shotgun...you could have a hybrid or someone fitted another model bolt assy to the barreled reciever. I have met a couple of those over the years....
Lou648015
Author Image
Posted: March 25, 2013 4:01 PM
Thanks, Zeke!  I finally figured it out.  What one has to do is, with the cocking piece in the "fired" position and holding the cap assembly in the vise, push back on the end of the firing pin with a flat block, then take hold of the the round slot close to the end of the indicator as it emerges from the bold cap.  While holding the indicator pin out with diagonal pliers (fits the slot), you are then release press on the firing pin.  This allows the bushing to relax and freely move within the bolt cap housing.  You then can easily pull the cocking piece straight out, as long as it has moved forward enough to clear the indicator pin (the cocking piece has a hidden detent on the indicator pin side, into which the indicator pin fits when properly installed, holding the cocking pice in place.  Once the cocking piece is removed, the firing pin and bushing can be extracted by aligning the flats of the bushing and the bolt cap.  The firing spring and indicator pin will come out after the bushing is removed.
Our members have made a total of 240234 posts
We have 526276 registered members
The newest member is marty1041991
FORUM RULES
You are not logged in.
You cannot post replies