Post-WWII, the US Army emerged as the most powerful military among all nations and has retained its supremacy since then. It has a military strength of 3 million personnel, 4800 defense sites that are spread over all 7 continents. It has an annual budget of $700 billion which is far greater than the GDP of many developing countries.
The US military has an estimated 4.5 million firearms in its arsenal. The current arsenal consists of weapons that were developed during the Cold War as well as modern and upgraded weapons of the 21st century. For all the gun enthusiasts, we have compiled a list of the best military guns available in the USA. So read on.
- Number one on the list is the M4A1 carbine. It is the smaller and handier version of the M16 rifle. M4A1 is a selective-fire carbine assault rifle. Due to its small size and lightweight, M4 is convenient to carry around. It is ideal for situations that require the use of a more compact weapon such as taking down an enemy in close quarters or when soldiers have to take quick actions such as getting down from armored vehicles.
In the US military, the M4A1 is going to replace the iconic M16 rifle. The M4A1 is a part of the arsenals of more than 60 militaries worldwide. It has garnered much attention among the military complexes of Latin America, the Middle East, and Europe along with the USA. Due to its practicality and accuracy, the M4 A1 has been touted as one of the defining firearms of the 21st century.
M27 Infantry Automatic Rifle
- This is a squad automatic assault rifle. The M27 Infantry Automatic Rifle is a magazine-fed 5.56mm select-fire, lightweight weapon. The design of this rifle is inspired by the HK416 rifle. The latter is manufactured by the German company Heckler & Koch.
It has a barrel size of 16.5 inch which is a cross between M4’s 14.5-inch barrel and M16’s 20-inch barrel. The M27 Infantry Rifle is extensively used by the United States Marine Corps (USMC) and is very popular among the marines. It is known to increase the maneuverability of the rifleman. The M27 has a free-floating barrel and a better firing range. The introduction of the M27 in the Marine Corp has lent new meaning to their chant “every Marine a rifleman.”
- The M14 is an automatic battle rifle that was introduced in 1959. Extensively used during the Vietnam war, this rifle fires 7.62×51mm NATO (.308 in) cartridges.
In the US military, the M14 rifle has largely been replaced by the lighter and more compact M16 rifle. However, it remains in limited numbers amongst all branches of the US military. Honor guards use the M14 rifle for ceremonial purposes. The semi-automatic versions are available for civilian use such as hunting, target shooting, and plinking, etc.
Mk 14 Enhanced Battle Rifle
- Mk 14 is a selective fire, designated marksman rifle that fires 7.62x51mm NATO cartridges and has a standard 22.0-inch barrel. It is an extension of the M14 rifle and has been in use by several units of the US Special Operations Command including US Navy SEALs, Delta Force, and Green Berets.
The Mk 14 Enhanced Battle Rifle is ideal for the jobs of close combat and designated marksman.
M39 Enhanced Marksman Rifle
- The M39 Enhanced Marksman Rifle is a semi-automatic, gas-operated rifle with a Caliber of 7.62 mm. It fires 7.62x51 mm NATO cartridges. Like the Mk 14, the M39 is a variant of the M14 rifle.
It has been used by the United States Marine Corps since 2008. Even though the rifle was developed to be used as a dedicated Designated Marksman Rifle, it can also be used as a battle rifle.