Notifications

Close
Forum > Gunsmithing > Gunsmithing > Browning High Power ambi safety installation

Browning High Power ambi safety installation

Paul B
Posted: February 15, 2012 05:37 PM
I have received a two piece ambidextrous safety for my High Power but didn't get any instructions with it. Does anybody know who the manufacturer is or where I might get the instructions? My question is: what keeps the right side lever in place? The left side (original) lever has a slot in its shaft; the right side (new) lever has a rectangular tab made to fit in the slot, but is too thick to slip into place; is it a press fit that holds the two together? If so, how does one accomplish the pressing? Any help will be greatly appreciated. Paul B
Ezequiel
Posted: February 15, 2012 06:17 PM

There are several aftermarket makers of Ambi-safeties with each having its own hold it in place design. What you discribe would seem to be one design that snaps together. Other designs use small set crews or cross pins....if there is no evidence of amechanical fastner..then it is likely a snap or press fit. You might want to consult the TECH STAFF at www.brownells.com, they supply such items to the market and can advise..that said.. the safety is a very important part. God forbid that you should ever have to use the gun in defense of yourself or a loved one...but I can tell you this...if there is ever an incident..attornies will run roughshod over you for any aftermarket item..so unless you are a pistolsmith with qualifications..the first step in the installation is the use of a competent gunsmith...the Tech Crew ar brownells can assit with that as can the Gunsmith Locator Link at www.midwayusa.com

Paul B
Posted: March 4, 2012 12:52 PM

I believe this safety was sold under the name "Ambi-Dex" who don't come up in a Google search. Does anyone have a set of installation instructions they would be willing to copy and send to me for a reasonable fee?

Paul B

Ezequiel
Posted: March 4, 2012 05:04 PM

Paul...here's a long shot..but this outfit specializes in such things...Check with ABBY on www.cornellpubs.com..I believe their website also has a page where you can post "wants"........"For sale" and "I need items"........AND have you Googled for any Browning High Power on line forums? Also ask at www.browning.com if they have any knowledge of this part.......PAUL...after writing this entry, I went to www.brownells.com and searched their browning Hi-Power products and came up with these numbers. 206-035-010 and 206-035-011 and 206-035-013 all ambi-Dex safteies for the Browning Hi-Power. You can download the instruction sheet for this product FREE...it may be of some help in making an installation..if nothing else..it should make note of any particular sore spots you have to be aware of. BTW they are all by the same maker whose name appears to be close to what you have..pictures also so you can compare...

Paul B
Posted: March 7, 2012 08:22 PM

Zeke, thanks for the info; I'll check it out.

Paul B
Posted: March 7, 2012 08:38 PM

Zeke, Quick Reply part II: I went to the Brownell's site. The ambi safeties in their catalog are Cylinder&Slide products. The pivot shaft extends through the slide and the second lever is pinned to it; mine is different. Also, I couldn't see where to download the instructions. Thanks again, PB

George M
Posted: March 8, 2012 10:26 AM

I bought an ambi safety for a 1911 and it had an "interference fit” go-together like the one you are describing it. It has to be forced to bend out and fit. It can't be seperated for removal without risking scratching the frame. The Browning HP ambi safety that I purchased for my FM90 browning clone had a roll pin through the right hand safety lever and through shaft on the left hand safety lever. George M.

[size=6][b]The American Revolution would never have happened with gun control.[/b][/size]
Warrior41
Posted: August 5, 2022 03:28 PM

Regarding an ambidextrous safety for the Springfield SA-35 Hi-Power, Cylinder and Slides offers an ambidextrous safety that works quite well. 08/05/2022.

Warrior41