Furthering the Legacyone part at a time

Have questions? Call: 866-686-7424

Forum > Gunsmithing > Gunsmithing > Cartridge Identification

Cartridge Identification

gunner P
Posted: March 5, 2013 02:54 PM
Got a H&R model 99 in the other day that had a custom barrel installed on it.  I don't why in heaven someone would cut a chamber into a barrel but not mark what caliber it is.  I poured a casting with cerrosafe and was pretty sure it was chambered for 220 Swift, but that cartridge will not completely seat into the chamber.  Does anyone out there know of a good on-line reference that I can use to compare the measurments.  Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.
Pul7gs
Posted: March 5, 2013 04:03 PM

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.220_Swift 

Ezequiel
Posted: March 5, 2013 05:54 PM

Suggested printed materiasl: Cartridges of the World publishedf by Krause Publications..paperback... Next  by Ken Howell Designing and Forming Custom Cartridges for  rifles and handguns,,,next.... The Handloaders Manual of Cartridge Conversions by John J. Donnelly     all carry dimensional data.....a back up to these is Ken Waters PET LOADS but Donnelly's book  goes  by the numbers..in sequence by caliber and shows a drawing of the case with all dimensions..meaning  there is no guessing as to the designs origins..Cartridges of the World breaks them down by USE and country ...so you have to know if it is USA  or IK or propreitary or a wildcat  or current or obsolete Designing also goes by caliber and includes sketches and dimensional drawings... Both Donnelly's and Howell's books take you..step by step in the forming of brass from a parent case......  If you give some data..like casehead(bolt face)  OAL.. and some case diameter data........I can run a check.......

Jim Rehm
Posted: March 6, 2013 08:48 AM

For some detailed drawings of many cartridges here are two options. Google "saami specs" or "stevespages 8d. Hope this helps.

Jim

Jim Rehm
Posted: March 6, 2013 08:50 AM

For some detailed drawings of many cartridges here are two options. Google "saami specs" or "stevespages 8d". Hope this helps.

Jim

Ezequiel
Posted: March 6, 2013 04:04 PM

SAAMI will not lost Wildcats..they only deal with aproved cartridges that THEY standardize dimensions and operating pressures on   If someone blew out a .220 Swift to an ACKLEY iMPROVED OR SOME SUCH DESIGN...YOU WON'T FIND IT AT saami

gunner P
Posted: March 9, 2013 11:08 AM

Thanks for all of the helpful input.  I still have not narrowed down this booger to the correct cartridge based on the data I have researched.  If anyone wants to take a stab at it please feel free.  Here are the dimensions. 

Bore diameter: .224

O/A case Length: 2.140

Neck Diameter: .260 tapering to .257 at the forward end.

Neck Length: .450

Shoulder Width .401

Shoulder Length: .250 The angle of the shoulder is pretty shallow kind of like the shoulder on the 5.6X52R (22 Savage High Power) case.

Shoulder to base: 1.60

Case Diameter at base: .422

Rim Thickness: .055 (rimmed case)

Ezequiel
Posted: March 9, 2013 06:05 PM

None of the reference material I have shows a cartridge case with those specs.However it is similar to several of Harvey Donaldson's wildcats as well as some of the Parker Ackley Short Krag wildcats..the guy I don't have much on is the Canadian wildcatter and gunsmith EPPS who had several rimmed wildcats he used in the Short Magazine Lee Enfield rifles and others he had for the Large Martini actions...Try a google search of EPPS to see if anything is on line  a living source of info is Fred Huntington(founder of RCBS)..if someone made up a single rifle chambered in a proprietary wildcat  chances are Fred made the dies for it  His post-RCBS company is still doing buisness at www.huntingtons.com.   A...  If anyone made the dies  they usually keep the blueprints they work from that were generated from the fireformed case...which also brings to mind  CLYMER  someone cut the reamer for this round  maybe they did  feed them the specs... Clymer MFG.CO   14241 W.11 Mile rd.    Oak Park,MI 48237  BTW  there is no gunsmith's markings?

gunner P
Posted: March 16, 2013 06:43 PM

Thank you very much for the help and info.  No there are no markings whatsoever on the barrel or the frame.  I even pulled the buttstock hoping to find it written down on a scrap of paper and stashed in the buttstock bolt channel.  Damn shame someone would go to all of the trouble they went to making this barrel and not taking a few minutes to stamp it. 

Ezequiel
Posted: March 17, 2013 11:26 AM

Doing that is the NUMBER 1 No-No in gunsmithing...any change to the chambering should always be stamped into the barrel..not the reciever and the barrel can be changed on that reciever and any reciever stamping becomes misinformation....The other No-no you may encounter is a firearm being chambered for a round to strong for the gun. Example:  While the Remington Rolling Black is a  nice toy..it should only be barreled and chambered for low pressure...very low pressure carttridges...Even the late version built for the 7x57 Mauser are pushing the envelope...really only suitible for the very low end of the reload charts...I often tell people that you can barrel and chamber a RRB for the elephat cartridge...the .458 Winchester Magnum and as long as you keep the reloads to the specs of the 45-70 Governemtn round as loaded for the Trapdoor Springfiedl..no problem...but even with that info stamped on the barrel..the novice that comes across the rifle  sees that and goes to his gun store and buys a box of factory .458 Win and fires same in RRB has created a very deadly Bomb...Point is this...even if the barrel is marked  doesn't mean it was done right and done safely  a rifle such as yours could be on the market because some cellar Gunsmith decided to build the world hottest and bestest super cartridge...well beyond all SAAMI specs...fires a single round maybe a couple more and has to hammer the bolt open..Basically consider the barrel and action as compromised in the very worst way.......YOU HAVE A WALL HANGER>>>PERIOD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!