Notifications

Close
Forum > Gunsmithing > Gunsmithing > Issue with Installing M1D Garand Sniper Criterion Barrel

Issue with Installing M1D Garand Sniper Criterion Barrel

Dragoon 15
Posted: April 12, 2011 02:26 PM
Hi, I was just notified by my gunsmith that the M1D Criterion barrel and block purchased from Numrich had less than 7 degree draw on my USGI M1 Garand receiver. Apparently, the block machining will not achieve a 15 degree draw. My gunsmith stated that he tried the barrel on another USGI receiver and still had the same issue. His work around was to apply a compound (strong bonding adhesive) to assist in securing the barrel to receiver. He also, stated swaging the barrel could not be achieved due to the block's position. Maching and emplacing a spacer would not be cost effective. It looks like the barrel will be secure for now but a hard day on the range will yeild the real result. If any one else has had this issue please post your comments here. Thanks, Dragoon 15 :-k
George M
Posted: April 12, 2011 03:26 PM

If anyone can translate that into lay terms I would appreciate it also, as it sounds intriguing. George M.

[size=6][b]The American Revolution would never have happened with gun control.[/b][/size]
JEB
Posted: April 13, 2011 01:46 AM

me to George! he.e...., hey..I always rely on Fulton Armory for any of my serious M1-30 cal, or Garand stuff. Awesome work!....(aint real cheap, but if customer is willing to pay) he.e...

Dragoon 15
Posted: April 13, 2011 06:09 PM

The regular M1 Garand service barrel does not have a "block" pressed onto its rear portion of the barrel like a Genuine M1D "sniper" barrel. The M1D replica "sniper" barrel that is sold by Numrich has a a block attached to it which caused some problems due to poor quality assurance efforts by Criterion.

When a barrel is installed (screwed) into the recievr it will only go so far until a wrench is required to complete the fitting or aligning of two witness marks left on teh barrel and redceiver--both will eventually match up. This additional movement is called "draw". M1 GArand barrels require about a 15 degree trun to complete the fitting. However, when the barrel requires less than 7 degrees it is considered a light draw and may be indicative of poor machining--whcih will cause the barrel to be loose. M1 barrels prefer to have some metal crush into order to secure the barrel to teh receiver.

My barrel is consdiered a light draw and required either a "swag" effort by a lathe which can't be accomplished with a M1D block on the barrel. My gunsmith used some adhesive in teh threads to assist in securing the barrel to the receiver. "Mel's rifle used a shim in order to secure the "crush" effect.

I will report back after I take her the range and see if the barrel will back off from the receiver after firing.

Cheers!

Dragoon

Anthony648454
Posted: September 4, 2022 01:52 PM (This post was last edited September 4, 2022 01:59 PM)

Quoted: Dragoon 15

The regular M1 Garand service barrel does not have a "block" pressed onto its rear portion of the barrel like a Genuine M1D "sniper" barrel. The M1D replica "sniper" barrel that is sold by Numrich has a a block attached to it which caused some problems due to poor quality assurance efforts by Criterion.

When a barrel is installed (screwed) into the recievr it will only go so far until a wrench is required to complete the fitting or aligning of two witness marks left on teh barrel and redceiver--both will eventually match up. This additional movement is called "draw". M1 GArand barrels require about a 15 degree trun to complete the fitting. However, when the barrel requires less than 7 degrees it is considered a light draw and may be indicative of poor machining--whcih will cause the barrel to be loose. M1 barrels prefer to have some metal crush into order to secure the barrel to teh receiver.

My barrel is consdiered a light draw and required either a "swag" effort by a lathe which can't be accomplished with a M1D block on the barrel. My gunsmith used some adhesive in teh threads to assist in securing the barrel to the receiver. "Mel's rifle used a shim in order to secure the "crush" effect.

I will report back after I take her the range and see if the barrel will back off from the receiver after firing.

Cheers!

Dragoon

ACTUALLY, the draw being " light" is due to the stack up of individual tolerances, NOT poor machining. if you understood the process of machining a qualified thread as it was done on both components over 70 years ago, you would know that. selective assembly was used in the factory assembly process. sometimes two particular parts are at the extremes of their tolerances. you are literally talking about a few thousands of an inch between the thread timing and shoulder distance.