Forum > Gunsmithing > Gunsmithing > J.C. Higgins Model 101.1 in 410 Ga.

J.C. Higgins Model 101.1 in 410 Ga.

Kinsman
Posted: September 12, 2012 05:22 PM
I have this J.C. Higgins 410.Ga, That I believe is the same as a Savage Arms Model 94 C. This was my Grandfather's Gun and my mother has asked me to fix it if I can. I am trying to replace the old Hammer that has broken off at the bottom of the spur. I can not seem to figure out how to release the Hammer Spring and Rod in order to strip the receiver for rebuild. Is there a trick to this or a special Tool to depress the main spring. it is really stiff. I can't seem to depress the spring enough, even with a screw driver, to get the Brass end of the Spring rod to clear the breach assembly. I apologize if my terminology is not correct or up to par. I have all ready received a new hammer from Numrich, But I can't figure out how to completely break this receiver down. Numrich has the schematic for the Gun. J.C. Higgins Model 101.1; in 410 Ga. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks
daniel
Posted: September 13, 2012 06:22 AM

Take your receiver and put in a padded vice then use a pair of vice grips and lock on to the plunger and force the whole thing out.

daniel