REMINGTON 742 'JAM O MATIC' CURE.

JEB
Posted: November 14, 2010 04:20 AM
I get a lot of these in for repair. And its always the same problem. Cartridges stuck in the chamber. Poor design problems with Remington. Great rifles! but they seem to have this consistent problem. To properly clean the chamber, you pretty much have to remove the barrel, and the general public folks, just are not up to that. I have used this process for a couple years now, and wanted to have all my data in line before I presented it to the forum. Here is what works. Dissassemble rifle, remove barrel. Chuck it up in your padded vise. Use a high speed drill motor, with a cleaning rod, with a brass bristle jag, just smaller than your caliber. Wrap the brass bristles with a 2" X 2" piece of old T shirt cloth, from the chamber end. start with the JB "bore bright" compounds, applied to the cloth. Use the first step cleaning compound, at very high rpm, the then final 'bore bright' compound, with clean cloth to bring it to a mirror finish. Final high speed finish with the rods, and cloths, use "Flitz", high gloss metal finish. Last step is to use Brownells "Action Magic" product. Dip a patch in the Part A solution, apply by hand, and let cure for a day or so. Then apply the part B, (moly sulfide) on to a high speed cotton patch, insert in barrle, and buff it. The rifles I have done with this process have gone several seasons, with no glitches. When it comes to cleaning time, just pull a Hoppes, Boresnake thourgh it. Just thought I would pass that along, as a freebee; from the school of hard knocks! heee..e....
Please Sign in