Notifications

Close

We have resumed order fulfillment. For the health and safety of our employees, we are operating with a limited staff and it may take up to 3 weeks to fulfill your order.

At this time, we no longer accept orders over the phone and Canadian orders.

Forum > Gunsmithing > Gunsmithing > Repairing Cintered receiver tang (post 64 winchester 94)

Repairing Cintered receiver tang (post 64 winchester 94)

Rex in OTZ
Posted: February 7, 2020 02:20 AM

Like a fool I jumped both feet right smack into a project I though might make a great winter project.

Gun tinker hubby died, left house stuffed with all manner of busted guns.

I found a winchester 94 hanging by lever on a nail in the corner of the shop (stripped of wood,magazine and sights)

The upper tang was broken and patched.

Thinking it'd be a neat tig weld project.

Thinking it broke wierd so did some digging the s/n 4,76×,××× places it around 1979?

Little more reading the post 64 winchester model 94 receiver is some sort of cintered metal.

It appears to have been a wreck and first breaking the upper tang.

The tang was patch repaired using a thick brass, blind rivets and possibly epoxied together.

The patch is bent and one the rivets is obviously sheared.

Not too sure what direction to go with this patch and rivets.

Ezequiel
Posted: February 7, 2020 09:15 AM

I have made such repairs by installing a couple of dowel pins in the fissure.....Once the pins are drilled (carbide drill bit) and are in line...I join the pins and the 2 pieces using black locktite...I used harden steel dowel pins and make sure everything will line up when you join them...as the Black Loctite is a on shot item.......once that joint is cured...I use Brownells Steel-Bed to back fill the crack and once that is cured..I dress it to contour......sinct this sinterd metal does not like bluing...I use a spray on bake on finish to redo the whole receiver.....then the stocks inletting is adjusted to accept the repaired tang.......You can do a few dry runs using BLUE Loctite...just to makes sure everything is straight.....If you get it slightly out of line....affix the pins with blue...then in holes that you have opened up...You can use black to assemble......the stocks inletting can be used as a fixture to keep thing in line BEFORE the installation iss made permanent...

Rex in OTZ
Posted: February 10, 2020 05:59 PM

Thats the best suggestion Ive had so far!

I live over 500 miles away from Anchorage.

Any shop off the road systen if it does use a pressurized gas usually hoard that stuff like grim death to a sick dog.

Basicly you have to hound and pester a gas welder to do your welding.

DOT regulations concerning pressurized gasses via aircraft is a nightmare.

This heat free method sounds downright doable!

Ezequiel
Posted: February 11, 2020 09:24 AM

That metal can be a bitch to drill..Carbide bits are a must.....You may  have to use a carbide dental burr in a dremel tool to hog a hollow to bond the pins in.....if they com out a little sloppy..accent on little...yo can use the burrstock inletting as a fixture to align things...bonding them in place with black Loctite will keep them there...but they won't take a lot of pressure//////after you get them bonded and pinned together  Fair in with Steel-bed....then bed the tang area of the stock to fully support your work...you do not want the final installation to apply sher to your work.......