Forum > Gunsmithing > Gunsmithing > Ruger mark III rear dovetail dimensions.

Ruger mark III rear dovetail dimensions.

Bruce850892
Posted: January 29, 2013 03:47 PM
I need to cut a rear dovetail in a Tactical Solutions Pac-Light barrel for the gun specific Burris mount for a Fastfire III. Anyone know the dimensions of the Ruger Mark III rear sight dovetail? Thank you, Bruce Griffey
Ezequiel
Posted: January 29, 2013 06:23 PM

www.brownells.com  sells aftermarket sights for the Ruger..they should know....I can tell you that the factory dovetail for the MKII and III usding an adjustable rear is the same..Volquartsen makes a direct replacement thier TL 2000 rear sight..ask them what dovetail to cut to use that sight

Twinkle toes
Posted: January 31, 2013 03:21 AM

Bruce, the bottom of the dovetail on the barrel that I took off my MKII is .5269. My 6 in' pac lite, that I put on the Ruger  had a rearsight, that was mounted by a screw. when I mounted my fastfireII, I removed the pac lite rear sight, used the screw hole, and drilled and tapped one other to mount a short scope mount rail. My FastfireII, came with a weaver mount base.  I bought my barrel about 8 years ago. Tactical Solutions has made changes since, but, wouldn't it be simpler to drill and tap a couple holes, as to machine a dove tail? 

Bruce850892
Posted: January 31, 2013 06:32 PM

Quote:

Bruce, the bottom of the dovetail on the barrel that I took off my MKII is .5269. My 6 in' pac lite, that I put on the Ruger  had a rearsight, that was mounted by a screw. when I mounted my fastfireII, I removed the pac lite rear sight, used the screw hole, and drilled and tapped one other to mount a short scope mount rail. My FastfireII, came with a weaver mount base.  I bought my barrel about 8 years ago. Tactical Solutions has made changes since, but, wouldn't it be simpler to drill and tap a couple holes, as to machine a dove tail? 

Yes, that would be easier. I just wanted the clean look and low profile of the Burris Ruger dovetail mount. I'm not sure if Ruger uses a 60 or 65 degree angle. I may just get the Weaver mount and go with your idea of a short rail. Thank you for the information.