Notifications

Close
Forum > Hand Guns > Hand Guns > Colt Police Positive Special Barrel Change

Colt Police Positive Special Barrel Change

James773692
Posted: February 8, 2019 02:10 PM

I have a Colt Police Positive Special (Third Issue) with a 4 inch barrel.  I would like to shorten the barrel (change) to 2 or 3 inch, and if possible, shrouded.  Does anyone know if any of the other Colt D frame barrel would be compatible with my frame?  I see that the Cobra and the "old" model Detective Special have barrels that are available. Thanks, Jim

Ezequiel
Posted: February 9, 2019 09:45 AM

I do not know what level of gunsmithing experience you have...so I'll respond as if you re new to the trade.

Changing a barrel is NOT just unscrew one and screw in a new one and your done......First.....Revolver frames should be considered to be fragile......One method used...back in the day...was to hog out a hollow in a matching pair of hardwood blocks.....treating the barrel with a release agent......fill in the hogged area with a stock bedding compound and clamping it around the barrel to form a set of support blocks...the gun and these blocks were mounted in a very sturdy bench vise placed I such a way so that a lever(usually a hardwood hammer handle) was inserted thru the cylinder window in the frame...then leaned on to break the high torque used to seat the barrel.....more often that not..the frame suffered some damage...from minor cracks to major frame bending......Take a look at your old barrel......take note of the number of things that are part of it that are  absolute clock position items...sights....ejector rod shroud..etc  when you screw it in,,these MUST clock...almost doesn't do it.....Take a look at the frame and cylinder...snap the cylinder shut...take note of the gap between the face of the cylinder and the rear of the barrel.....That is  a very exact gap.....if it is to wide and you need to screw the barrel in deeper...and you face off some contact points......all those things on the barrel that used to clock....are now off...you have to do a proper barrel setback and adjust all those things that are based on barrel position and rotation

AND

There are tools to make all this easier...but...changing the barrel will not be a cheap way of getting a short barrel gun...it will be an expensive way if you are only ever going to do one...cheaper to hire a pistolsmith to do it od better yet...send it back to colt for the work

For help now........go to www.brownells.com

and check out the factory manual for the Colt you have...it covers several models..it has the shank thread profiles and even the math for a barrel setback...it shows the tools that you will need to rent,borrow or buy  The book is by Jerry Kuhnhausen and the books on the Colt Double Action revolvers(there are 2 because the info is longer than most guns) If you go to the website and pull up these SKU#'s

924-299-001 AB

and

924-200-002AB

These will tell you how and why,our host may also have these books...but the last time I looked I didn't see them. Both Brownells and www.midwayusa.com have the books...tools and tutorials on most gunsmithing projects

junkangh89
Posted: August 23, 2022 04:09 PM (This post was last edited August 30, 2022 05:51 AM)

It's an amazing book. My favorite pastime is reading. I enjoy reading because it helps me improve my writing skills. But, unfortunately, I don't have time for this right now. I'm working on a dissertation and using dissertation proposal help. This is a priority task for me right now, so I want to prepare thoroughly.

billhannah40
Posted: September 13, 2022 05:51 PM (This post was last edited September 13, 2022 05:51 PM)

I also love to read books. Recently, in order to improve my German, I have been reading books in German. But since not all words are familiar to me, I use online translation. It was recommended to me by my German tutor. I am very pleased with this translator.