Notifications

Close

Mauser cocking piece fit

del
Posted: September 20, 2022 02:36 PM

I ordered a mause cocking piece (order # 6672972.1) for a model 98 Mauser. I am a school trained gunsmith (Piedmont Technical Institute) and a machinist (do you will know I"m not a AR goober ). Anyway .. I'm doint a custom build and fitting a new bolt shroud from NECG that has the modern type safety. The existing cocking piece would not work with the new shoud. It appeared to be slightly out of round and bound up the shroud. So I ordered a new one from  you. Fits the shroud great but wont fit the firing pin. I have uploaded pic.  I see issues with ...

1. the new shroud is shorter than the old.
    1. the forward recess in the cocking piece (CP) is closer to the front of the CP that on the older CP. That means that I can start to rotate the firing pin into the locked position before the second lug enters the CP. On older CPs that is not possible . The first recess for the lug is farther back and allows the second lug to enter the flats of the CP which means you cant rotate the firing pin until all three lugs are in place (a safety feature I imagine). With the new CP I can rotate the firing pin but just barely. THat tells me that either the recess are too narrow or not deep enough.  Which leads to pint 2
  2. The new shroud diameter is .008 smaller than the old. Has about .005 to .006 of wobble in the new shroud.

The new shroud may indeed be the problem when I get a CP that fits the firing pin but that is a problem that is yet to be determined.

Please examine these pics and see if you can get me a correct CP or CP/FiringPin combo and I will go on line and pay for it.

Regards,
Del Murray

del
Posted: September 20, 2022 02:51 PM

del
Posted: September 20, 2022 02:54 PM

Quoted: del

Note that the new CP on left is shorter in last picture. First pic show proper protrusion of firing pin from old CP. New CP sticks out further yet cant lock as I think it is shouldering up on the firing pin and lugs and recesses dont line up.

hunt40
Posted: September 21, 2022 07:30 AM

Del,

Please email your order information to orderinfo@gunpartscorp.com and order one cocking piece(#5780) and one firing pin(#5450). Ask the rep in the email to put the order to Attn: #32 and I will make sure the firing pin and the cocking piece lock up as they should. Thank you.

del
Posted: September 22, 2022 09:20 AM

Will do. Thanks much