Notifications

Close
Forum > Product Details & Gun Parts Identification > Other Manufacturers > Luger Snail Drum Magazine Question

Luger Snail Drum Magazine Question

billyndacone
Posted: November 1, 2022 05:30 PM

I recently received a Luger Snail Drum Magazine from you.  I haven't used it and don't intend to . I'm a collector, and just looking at the magazine and loader, they look like quality products. 

When first received, I pressed on what I thought was the magazine follower.  It wouldn't go down into the magazine.  It looked as if the nose of the follower was too long and was hanging on the magazine.  I noticed a screw and nut that appeared to be holdong the actual magazine onto the drum and considered removing the magazine in order to get to the follower.  After thinking about what the spring might look like, I decided to 'Google' the mag's. dissassmbly.  It's a good thing I did, because the magazine spring is '5 miles long' and the instructions stated, "without prior knowledge, I'd never be able to re-install it".

Not wanting to go through the hassle of returning the assembly, I got out my dremmel tool and began shortening the "nose" of the Polymer follower.  After looking carefully at the follower and magazine, I pushed on the follower and to my surprise, it ejected.  It was a dummy round.  I felt stupid but blamed ignorance on my 83 years. 

QUESTION:  What is the dummy round for or is it just packing?  I can' imagine it being for your supplier's testing because it's too long and won't go down into the magazine.  By the way, would you mind telling me who the manufacturer is, or if it's made in China?

Thanks, and regards,

Billy Cone - Lumberton, TX 

P.S.

I  would appreciate you sending a copy of your response to my Email so I won't have to keep signing in for a 'look see'.

billyndacone@gt.rr.com 

hunt40
Posted: November 2, 2022 09:36 AM

The dummy round is a starter dummy that helps with the loading process. It goes into the magazine body much easier with the loading tool and helps line up the 9MM cartridges that are loaded.

These Luger P-08 drum magazines are made in Taiwan. The actual name of the manufacturer is not available.

billyndacone
Posted: November 2, 2022 11:25 AM

Thanks for the reply.

As mentioned, I had tried to shorten the 'nose' of the dummy round prior to discovering it was removable.  After removing, I luckily didn't discard it, but cleaned up my grind marks and contacted you.  My dummy round, with its original length would not have served its purpose.  Just a sugestion, you might want to check one of your in-stock Drum Magazines to see if its dummy round will move down into the magazine freely.  If you do check one, I'd appreciate you letting me know the outcome.

By the way,  One thing that contributed to my thinking that the dummy round was the follower, is, as you know in today's time, most, if not all, aftermarket magazine followers are made of Polymer, just like the dummy round.

Regards again, Billy   

hunt40
Posted: November 3, 2022 07:08 AM

All of these snail drums have been inspected. Originally manufactured in Taiwan, these snail drums were much like the original snail drums in the fact that they had feeding issues. We sent these drums to GT Specialties who performed upgrades and modifications to try to solve the issues. Though there are still feeding issues at times, the upgraded drums perform much better. Loading the drum with the loading tool and the dummy round has been tested on each one.