Notifications

Close

Remington 742 BDL Deluxe

jcm118
Posted: October 4, 2022 09:00 PM

Hi, looking for help from anyone knowledgeable of the 742 BDL deluxe fore end assembly parts. I may be missing a part not illustrated on a schematic. The swivel does not swivel or have any movement at all with the fore end screw tightened and I do not understand why.  There is a fore end bushing in the fore end and I have the screw, swivel, and extended spacer. This rifle has a flat forearm and pressed basketweave checkering. Any help is very much appreciated. Thanks.

hunt40
Posted: October 5, 2022 07:53 AM

It looks like you have the correct parts. The forend screw can be screwed into the forend and a 1" quick detachable swivel can be attached to the stud. The swivel should swing freely.

jcm118
Posted: October 5, 2022 07:21 PM

Thank you. I am also wondering what the fore end screw washer is since it is not illustrated on the schematic. Thought I would upload another image too, of the fore end. Just totally unsure about it. The swivel moves freely until I tighten the screw to prevent the fore arm from moving. 

hunt40
Posted: October 6, 2022 08:15 AM

Thought your photo actually showed a forend screw washer between the spacer and the forend screw head. Many 742 BDL sets only include a spacer and not a washer. If there is a washer there, try the screw without the washer.

jcm118
Posted: October 8, 2022 02:52 PM

Thank you for the guidance. It does look like I have all the required parts and I have no washer. Not sure how to explain it, but seem my issues are resolved using a new spacer I bought. The swivel does have free rotational movement with some very small front and back movement (guessing probably about 1/64 inch). From what what I can tell that all seems the way it should be. Also, fully tightened the fore arm is pulled away from the receiver 1/8 inch. I believe that is all normal. Thanks again.