Notifications

Close

Stevens Model 66-B inner tube

barrera.adolfo45
Posted: July 18, 2022 02:10 PM

I recently ordered a reproduction magazine inner tube for Stevens Model 66-B.  When i installed it would only slide in 17 inches and left 2 inches protruding.  On researching schematics and reading related forum issues, I learned that the Model 66-B may have a magazine follower which may be keeping the 19 inch reproduction inner tube from sliding all the way in.  I think the reproduction 19 inch inner tube is being held back by the magazine follower.  If this is the case, is it possible to trim the reproduction inner tube to the appropriate length so that it will lock in place?  If the answer in affirmative, will I also need to trim the length of the spring?  By how many inches?  Or just leave that spring alone.

hunt40
Posted: July 18, 2022 02:55 PM

We have not heard of an issue with the Savage 66B magazine tube followers. Not sure what could be obstructing the magazine tube from fully engaging. You may need to have the firearm checked by a gunsmith, specifically in the outer mag tube/mag guide area.. The outer mag tube is fixed on the Model 66B and the area around the mag guide can be delicate. The end of the mag guide that enters the mag tube could be damaged and holding up the follower. This needs to be checked before the inner mag tube assembly is altered.