Notifications

Close
Forum > Rifles > Rifles > M1 carbine extractor spring confusion

M1 carbine extractor spring confusion

OldBikerLee
Posted: November 13, 2022 09:25 AM

I ordered a new set of bolt springs and a new extractor because my carbine was having issues extracting shells.  Using the bolt tool I disassembled the bolt and attempted to replace the extractor spring.  The one that came out was about 7-8 coils in length and the new one 10.  The new spring will not fit whatever I do.  I've cleaned out the spring hole, checked for burrs and looked in the hole with a flashlight.  I can't see anything abnormal except that new spring is too long for hole in this bolt.  From research I've done the size of new spring should be correct.  That brings up the question did certain M1 carbine bolts just use shorter extraction springs?  I went ahead and put bolt back together and shells extract much more reliably now so problem was probably just worn extractor.  But I'm just confused because there's a shorter spring in there then what specs seem to call for and I'd sort of like to know why.

OldBikerLee
Posted: November 13, 2022 09:59 AM

Didn't see a way to edit post so here is info I should have included.  It is a Federal Ordinance M1 carbine.  Serial number on receiver indicates a 1984 manufacturer/assembly date.

jgballew
Posted: November 13, 2022 03:16 PM

I would just clip a coil and try the slightly shortened spring.