Notifications

Close

Please note: we no longer accept orders over the phone.

There may be delays in shipping as USPS and other carriers experience high volume and temporary employee shortages due to COVID-19.

Forum > Shotguns > Shotguns > H&R Folding .410

H&R Folding .410

sphynx99
Posted: August 7, 2011 12:10 PM
Hello all, I have inherited a gun from my father. It is an H&R folding .410. It has obviously been used quite a bit. I was hoping that the folks here could 1) tell me more about it, 2) tell me how to repair the stock (or if I should), and 3) tell me how to clean it (or if I should). I've searched other posts on this message board, and determined the following: * There are 2 variations, large frame and small frame. This is the smaller one. * The serial number gives a clue about the manufacture date. This gun does not have any letters on the serial number. The serial number is just 911. I have not done anything to the gun since I received it. As you can see from the pictures, the stock is broken, and something tells me this might be a difficult part to replace. I've seen the stock for the larger frame for sale on this site, but not for the smaller one. Any advice is appreciated. I can take more pictures and post them if that would help. Thanks in advance for any information you can provide! Best regards, Patrick [img]http://www.azmurphy.net/HR-410-1.jpg[/img] [img]http://www.azmurphy.net/HR-410-2.jpg[/img] [img]http://www.azmurphy.net/HR-410-3.jpg[/img] [img]http://www.azmurphy.net/HR-410-4.jpg[/img] [img]http://www.azmurphy.net/HR-410-5.jpg[/img] [img]http://www.azmurphy.net/HR-410-6.jpg[/img]
Ezequiel
Posted: August 7, 2011 12:59 PM

Contact Jim Hauff on these forums. You can either wit for him to see this post or click on the memebers link and e-mail this to him directly....

sphynx99
Posted: August 8, 2011 01:32 AM

Thanks for the help, Zeke. I've sent Jim a message, and I'll keep an eye out for his response.

Take care,

Patrick

Jim Hauff
Posted: August 8, 2011 09:10 AM

Patrick,

Here's what the current research tells us about the H&R FOLDING model sb shotguns:

H&R introduced this model circa 1928, and it appears to be the only folding shotgun made by any US manufacturer.

It was offered in two frame sizes: Large in 12, 16, 20 and .410-12mm bore; Small in 28 ga, 14mm and .410-12mm. The 1st Variation was in production from 1928 to 1931 and featured a "non-ejecting" EXTRACTOR system only. Choke indicated on all chamberings is FULL. Barrel lengths for the LARGE frame were all 26" and for the SMALL frame 22". Chamber depths for all the "gauges" is 2 3/4" and for the 'bores' it is 2 1/2"

Circa late 1931 - '32 up to 1942, H&R offered this model with "auto-ejecting" system only and this change marks the beginning of the 2nd Variation. Up to 1936, the same chamberings and other specs, as noted above, were offered for both frame sizes. In or about 1936, the metric loadings were dropped and the 3" .410 (US) chambering became the standard in both frame sizes.

(This info comes from Bill Goforth's research.)

Examples of this model do not show up very often - they are rather uncommon if not scarce. Finding an original butt stock to replace the one on your gun may turn out to be a "fool's errand". If our host, NUMRICH, doesn't have one, I'm at a loss to suggest any other OE vendor.

If you have the "chip" that is missing - it can be replaced and repaired. Depending upon how handy or not- you are working with wood, it may be to your advantage to seek the help of a furniture/cabinet maker or restorer - there are ways and means to make a nearly invisible rejoining of good grade woods - if done by an experienced hand.

The serial number on your piece is the lowest I've seen although I've not seen more than a dozen and a half or so in 16 years. I do own two pieces - a small 1st Variation marked .410-12mm (like yours) with a s/n 2813 and a large 2nd Variation in 12 ga with a s/n F21468 ('F' for FOLDER.)What we can tell from your s/n and the indicated chambering is that it is a very early 1st Variation, probably made in the 1st year of production, 1928 or early 1929 depending upon the production rate, which was apparently not very high.

Good luck with your gun - except for the "chip" it looks to be a very nice piece of history, certainly worth being repaired.

Ezequiel
Posted: August 8, 2011 09:31 AM

Patrick, if you want an nearly undetectable repair to your stock, seek out a local instrument maker. Someone who services violins and the like. These guys are magic with wood,stains and finishes. One shooter friend who also is a music nut and instrument maker(Violins) has made repairs on stocks and grips...that..even knowing the repair is there is almost impossible to detect. My guy does not take in work on stocks..only to guys that swap services for services(he is from the old "barter" school of trade. Any local classical music org should be able to point you to a craftsman.

sphynx99
Posted: August 9, 2011 12:28 AM

Jim and Zeke,

Thank you very much for taking the time to post. I really appreciate the information.

Unfortunately, I do not have the missing piece of the stock. I am in a pretty large metro area, though, and with some luck perhaps I can track down someone who can repair the stock for me. I'd also take it to a gun smith to check it out before I think about firing it.

If I can get the stock repaired, and get a gun smith to clean it up and make sure it is in good shape, I'll post some pictures. It will be interesting to see what the gun looks like in nice condition.

Best regards,

Patrick

Dennis966852
Posted: February 19, 2014 02:46 PM

Quote:

Patrick,

Here's what the current research tells us about the H&R FOLDING model sb shotguns:

H&R introduced this model circa 1928, and it appears to be the only folding shotgun made by any US manufacturer.

It was offered in two frame sizes: Large in 12, 16, 20 and .410-12mm bore; Small in 28 ga, 14mm and .410-12mm. The 1st Variation was in production from 1928 to 1931 and featured a "non-ejecting" EXTRACTOR system only. Choke indicated on all chamberings is FULL. Barrel lengths for the LARGE frame were all 26" and for the SMALL frame 22". Chamber depths for all the "gauges" is 2 3/4" and for the 'bores' it is 2 1/2"

Circa late 1931 - '32 up to 1942, H&R offered this model with "auto-ejecting" system only and this change marks the beginning of the 2nd Variation. Up to 1936, the same chamberings and other specs, as noted above, were offered for both frame sizes. In or about 1936, the metric loadings were dropped and the 3" .410 (US) chambering became the standard in both frame sizes.

(This info comes from Bill Goforth's research.)

Examples of this model do not show up very often - they are rather uncommon if not scarce. Finding an original butt stock to replace the one on your gun may turn out to be a "fool's errand". If our host, NUMRICH, doesn't have one, I'm at a loss to suggest any other OE vendor.

If you have the "chip" that is missing - it can be replaced and repaired. Depending upon how handy or not- you are working with wood, it may be to your advantage to seek the help of a furniture/cabinet maker or restorer - there are ways and means to make a nearly invisible rejoining of good grade woods - if done by an experienced hand.

The serial number on your piece is the lowest I've seen although I've not seen more than a dozen and a half or so in 16 years. I do own two pieces - a small 1st Variation marked .410-12mm (like yours) with a s/n 2813 and a large 2nd Variation in 12 ga with a s/n F21468 ('F' for FOLDER.)What we can tell from your s/n and the indicated chambering is that it is a very early 1st Variation, probably made in the 1st year of production, 1928 or early 1929 depending upon the production rate, which was apparently not very high.

Good luck with your gun - except for the "chip" it looks to be a very nice piece of history, certainly worth being repaired.

Dennis966852
Posted: February 19, 2014 02:55 PM

forum image

Dennis966852
Posted: February 19, 2014 03:16 PM

The photo above was submitted by me of the h and R foldable 410 #24.

I was looking for a year and a value if anyone would know.

Thanks for anyones time in advance!

Dennis

Ezequiel
Posted: February 20, 2014 10:26 AM

Book value as per The Gun Digest  Book of Modern Gun Values914th edition)

H&R Folding Model: Excellent $175..Very Good=$150....Good=$125 If your gun is in 28 Ga or .410 bore then add 75% to those values They date the gun from 1910 to 1942

There is a book that was compiled by the late Joseph T. Vorisek and now replicated by Cornell Publications(Contact ABBY at www.cornellpubs.com) and in that book Joe shows a catalog ad for the folding model. The catalog reproduced was the H&R 1930 publication and the ad for your gun appeared on page 35. It contains all the data on the gun and is pretty much as discribed by the late Jim Hauff If the serial number is #24 I would get an appraisal from www.bluebookinc.com. However in Joe's book there is this on the folder..

Folding Model single

Serial Number......Gauge....Barrel length....Markings

2,1xx                   .410        22"              no other informatiom

B2,227                 .410        22"              no other information

F11,020               28           26"              Barrel:Made in USA-28 Gauge Choke

F16,012                12          28"              Barrel: Made in USA-12 Gauge-choke

Left Frame; Ward's Westernfield Model 21

F19,7xx                410        26"              Barrel: Made in USA-.410 Gauge-Choke

The book also includes Illustrated Parts Breakdown printouts and a basic history of the gun and manufacturer.

Hope this helps some...Zeke