Notifications

Close
Forum > Shotguns > Shotguns > I have a Stevens 520 pump shotgun and after firing I can't open

I have a Stevens 520 pump shotgun and after firing I can't open

Numrich Archiver
Posted: June 3, 2005 05:08 PM
Numrich Archiver
Posted: June 3, 2005 06:27 PM

That's a malfunction. Problem most likely lies in the trigger group. First order of buisness is to remove the TG from the reciever and clean well.BTW this model has cartridge stops that are installed with a scew and NUT, sometimes this nut works its way loose and drops into the TG and causes problems. SO, first check all the screws to see if they are tight, none should spin freely. If one does then something on the other side is loose and if not already gone may be lost during removal of the TG. Make sure you disassemble where anything that drops can be recovered. You can view a schematic on Page 822 of Catalog #27 or, from the home page click "Order Parts" or "Start Here">"S">"Stevens">"Models 520 & 620.

Numrich Archiver
Posted: June 7, 2005 10:34 AM

The early 520's used an entirely different action lockup system. There was a button on the LH side of the receiver that acted as the action release button. But the internals used a inertia slide bar that was activated by recoil. If your gun happens to be this older version, the inertia block can be crudded up & not sliding when fired.

Nick1006037
Posted: August 14, 2014 05:16 PM

I have the old '520' with the suicide safety within the trigger guard. I gave the trigger group a real fine cleaning and degreasing, polished all the internals. I put it all back together, and function tested it. I noticed that the action stays locked in place even after the trigger had been pulled. Now, does the action require the energy from a discharged shell to open? Or do I have a mechanical issue?

Nick1006037
Posted: August 14, 2014 11:23 PM

I have the old '520' with the suicide safety within the trigger guard. I gave the trigger group a real fine cleaning and degreasing, polished all the internals. I put it all back together, and function tested it. I noticed that the action stays locked in place even after the trigger had been pulled. Now, does the action require the energy from a discharged shell to open? Or do I have a mechanical issue?

Ezequiel
Posted: August 16, 2014 05:57 PM

Depends on exactly which 520 you have..the early(obsolete) model has a slide lock release button(520-369) which protruded from the left side of the frame(under the ejection port) This is noted but not further explained in the factory schematic. However, you can find help by obtaining a copy of the Army Tech Manuals  TM9-2117 and TM9-285 which cover the complete assembly,disassembly,repair and maintenence of the Model 520. The host of these forums have many of the tech manuals and Tech Orders of this nature, in stock and for sale. Another source  could be from "ABBY" at Cornell Publications   www.cornellpubs.com and if you google the TM's or  Army Manuals you should come up with several sources of the publications. These are usually quite cheap....

Patrick1004903
Posted: June 23, 2022 01:23 PM

Check the Slide Lock Release spring, part #50 on the schematic 179790A.  If it's broken or not engaged with the slide lock, the gun won't automatically unlock after firing.  It's the spring that's attached to the hammer and rides on the hammer pin.