Notifications

Close
Forum > Shotguns > Shotguns > I have a Winchester 97 Takedown Back-end and a Model 12 barrel

I have a Winchester 97 Takedown Back-end and a Model 12 barrel

Numrich Archiver
Posted: March 12, 2007 12:57 PM
Numrich Archiver
Posted: March 12, 2007 03:37 PM

Jim, There are few things with guns that I haven't given some thought to..............but I think you just found one!!!!!!!

Numrich Archiver
Posted: March 12, 2007 09:35 PM

The barrel threads & adjusting sleeves are the same for both models. The model 12 barrel threads are longer than the 97, so the M12 could be made to fit. You would need a receiver extension for the 97 however. Our host have just started making these for the 97.

This is a project that would require special tooling, as years ago when we were Winchester warranty, in order to get appointed to this repair we had to purchase M97/12 a Heading Tool set. The chambering reamers are different than any other gun because you can not chamber this gun from the rear. As there is a chamber ring that is in the front of the receiver. This ring (about 1/4" in length which is actually the rear of the actual chamber)has the cartridge case rim cut in it. In installing a new/different barrel the final chambering / rim cutting was done with a pull cutter. The rim was cut to proper dimensions by using a headspace gauge with trial & error of the pull cutter. Now with that complete you used a blending reamer to blend the chamber ring to the rear part of the new barrel. The whole process is rather complicated & these heading tools were not cheap even 20 years ago, (like $400 a set per gauge). Not many current gunsmiths have them or even know they exist.

Now a final question, why would you think the the magazine tube would go in the barrel adjusting sleeve?

Numrich Archiver
Posted: March 13, 2007 12:37 AM

Sorry Gunacologist - I meant the Receiver Extension not the Adjustment Band. Anyway, sounds like I may be parting out these 2 shotguns. Another thought: Can you put a 97 takedown Receiver Extension on a 97 Fixed Model receiver and then use a 97 takedown barrel on it?