Notifications

Close

Please note: we no longer accept orders over the phone.

Forum > Shotguns > Shotguns > My father has a 12 gauge shotgun, Cannon Breach A3458, Simmons

My father has a 12 gauge shotgun, Cannon Breach A3458, Simmons

Numrich Archiver
Posted: March 2, 2007 10:43 AM
Numrich Archiver
Posted: March 2, 2007 12:51 PM

Debra, The reason you find nothing on it is that the name "Cannon Breech" is the tradename of a "Hardware" gun made FOR Simmons Hardware by Hopkins and Allen Company. A "Hardware" gun is one that a company placed at least a minimum order for and paid for the roll stamp..you could have a "Name" shotgun for as littleas a 5 gun order. Hopkins and Allen Company aka bacon Arms Co, aka Merwin Hulbert & Co of Norwich Ct. Circa 1868. Primary product was spur trigger revolvers..same gun marketed under many trade names: Acme,Blue Jacket,Captain Jack, etc. But they made some very nice double guns. Here's what the Standard Catalog of Firearms, 16th edition has to say: DOUBLE-BARRELED SHOTGUNS: H&A also made good quality doubles and in large quanities. Many were sold under private names such as Seminole and King Nitro(Cannon Breech, also!) The made both hammer and hammerless models and values will run the gamut from $100 to $1000 depending on model and condition. There is no listing of models other than already given nor a listing of any grades. You can get an on-line appraisal at: www.bluebookinc.com and further research should lead you to the works of the late Joe Vorisek who authored several books on the New England Shotgun makers in the "Golden Era" of these guns which would be approx from the Civil War to WWII. Joe's books are still available on-line from his Estate,plus name brand book stores..Borders,Waldenbooks,etc and in most local libraries.

Henry Gio597407
Posted: July 22, 2021 04:30 PM

I own a Simmons Cannnon  Breach 12 gauge Break open shotgun. I need a   firing pin for the Shotgun. Some history date of MFG, etc serial number Q5955 someone said 1915 . Please direct me to a firing pin and historical info . Thankyou

kennedystewart341893
Posted: July 28, 2021 11:24 PM

Well done with this article! I really like the way you present it and the way you make it interesting drift boss

dianacrown85
Posted: September 9, 2021 03:07 AM (This post was last edited September 25, 2021 12:49 PM)

I think this is a rare firing pin for this brand of shotgun. With the right data, it shouldn't be hard to pick the essayontime to work with. All things considered, ensure you do careful research and request suggestions among your kindred school mates prior to settling on a decision